Friday, September 19, 2008

Thy Brother.

Yesterday, some friends and I attended the wake of a good friend's father. No doubt he was extremely sad and deep in grief. Still, when two of us arrived, he hid his pretty apparent grief and welcomed us with embraces. He tried to be strong, but we all could see his sadness and true distress behind his "charade". But who could blame him, losing a family member can't be easy at all, especially one considered to be the pillar of the family.

Then, he said something very meaningful to the three of us who arrived first, "Luckily, I still have you guys. Otherwise life would really suck." At that moment, I suddenly realized that we weren't just a gang of boys who eat together, talk together and play together. We were more than just good friends.

His words revealed to me that he didn't just consider us as people who he can hang out with. Maybe to him, we're people whom he can count on for help, when he's in need, through crappy times such as these. To be honest I didn't really think he considered me to be a very good friend until that night. Or maybe he was just making a general statement, perhaps not directed at me individually. I guess I would never know.

Truly a night of sadness, we did our best to cheer him up, but of course no amount of friendship can replace the love of such an important and significant part of one's life and family. Hopefully, he will put this behind him and concentrate on his priorities, though easier said than done. But haha *perasan* he still has us. At least.

Zyang.

No comments: